- The use of operating electricity derived from 100% renewable energy sources began on July 1, 2023 at all manufacturing sites in Japan
- The entire global TDK Group will convert electricity use to 100% renewable energy by 2050, as part of its 2050 net-zero carbon emissions goal across its entire supply chain
- This recent momentum in TDK’s Japan manufacturing sites contributes to TDK’s sustainability goals, and puts the company on track for its halfway milestone of 50% renewable energy by 2025
July 5, 2023
TDK Corporation (TSE: 6762) has announced that 100% of the electricity used in all manufacturing sites in Japan are now from renewable energy sources as of July 1, 2023, resulting from initiatives to purchase electricity from Tohoku Electric Power Co., Ltd. and other domestic power companies sourced from renewable energy.
TDK is taking action to achieve at least 50% renewable energy as a share of total worldwide electricity consumption of TDK Group worldwide by fiscal 2025, marking the halfway point to its overall goal of 100% renewable energy in 2050, which coincides with the company’s 2050 net-zero environmental charter. With this initiative in Japan, 44 of all of our manufacturing sites worldwide (81 sites) are operating with 100% renewable energy as of July 2023, resulting in a current renewable energy introduction rate of around 40%.
TDK Group is also pursuing the following initiatives at its worldwide manufacturing sites:
- Installation of photovoltaics (to convert light into electricity) at specific Amperex Technology Limited (ATL) sites (a consolidated subsidiary of TDK manufacturing rechargeable batteries), and the use of renewable energy electricity since January 2022 at one of its sites.
- Converting electricity from geothermal sources since July 2022 for all electricity used at TDK Philippines Corporation (a consolidated subsidiary of TDK manufacturing passive components)
- Installation of photovoltaic systems at TDK Electronics (a consolidated subsidiary of TDK manufacturing passive components) sites around the world – including Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, India, Malaysia, Spain, and more.
The entire TDK Group will continue to introduce renewable energy at its manufacturing sites worldwide and will contribute to the realization of a sustainable society by aiming to convert 100% of energy use to renewable energy by 2050. See here for more details about TDK’s environmental charter and goals:
About TDK Corporation
TDK Corporation is a world leader in electronic solutions for the smart society based in Tokyo, Japan. Built on a foundation of material sciences mastery, TDK welcomes societal transformation by resolutely remaining at the forefront of technological evolution and deliberately “Attracting Tomorrow.” It was established in 1935 to commercialize ferrite, a key material in electronic and magnetic products. TDK‘s comprehensive, innovation-driven portfolio features passive components such as ceramic, aluminum electrolytic and film capacitors, as well as magnetics, high-frequency, and piezo and protection devices. The product spectrum also includes sensors and sensor systems such as temperature and pressure, magnetic, and MEMS sensors. In addition, TDK provides power supplies and energy devices, magnetic heads and more. These products are marketed under the product brands TDK, EPCOS, InvenSense, Micronas, Tronics and TDK-Lambda. TDK focuses on demanding markets in automotive, industrial and consumer electronics, and information and communication technology. The company has a network of design and manufacturing locations and sales offices in Asia, Europe, and in North and South America. In fiscal 2023, TDK posted total sales of USD 16.1 billion and employed about 103,000 people worldwide.
Contacts for regional media
|Japan||Mr. Daiki ITO||TDK Corporation
|ASEAN||Ms. Jiang MAN
Ms. Pei Lu LEE
|TDK Singapore (Pte) Ltd.
|+65 6273 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Greater China||Ms. Clover XU||TDK China Co., Ltd.
|+86 21 61962307||TDK.PR-CN@tdk.com|
|Europe||Mr. Frank TRAMPNAU||TDK Management Services GmbH
|+49 211 9077 email@example.com|
|America||Ms. Sara M. LAMBETH||TDK Corporation of America
Irving, TX, USA