Multilayer ceramic chip capacitors : Expanded lineup of automotive-grade MLCCs for high-temperature applications
- X8L MLCCs added to the CGA series
- Extended capacitance range for X8R MLCCs
- Qualified to AEC-Q200
Jan. 24, 2017
TDK Corporation has expanded its CGA series of automotive-grade MLCCs for high-temperature applications: New MLCCs with X8L temperature characteristics have been introduced and the capacitance range of its existing X8R types has been extended. With the new types, TDK's lineup of X8L and X8R MLCCs features an unrivalled high capacitance range of up to 22 µF. These capacitors offer high reliability at temperatures from -55 °C to +150 °C, with a capacitance drift of just ±15 percent for the X8R types and +15/-40 percent for the X8L types. Mass production and sales of the new components is scheduled to begin in February 2017.
Increasingly automotive electronic control units are being located in the engine compartments or near other structural parts, where the electronic components must be able to withstand high temperatures and offer high reliability and performance. The new high-temperature MLCCs were made possible by the development of a new dielectric material that maintains excellent reliability even in extreme environments. To further improve reliability, the X8R dielectric material is now also available for soft-termination and conductive epoxy MLCCs, which help to prevent board flexure cracks and solder cracks caused by thermal stress. Thanks to their temperature characteristics and high capacitance values the new AEC-Q200 qualified MLCCs are suited for applications in high temperature environments such as engine compartments or in close proximity to transmission oil tanks. They also offer outstanding performance in smoothing and decoupling circuits of switch-mode power supplies for industrial equipment.
- Soft-termination MLCC: The terminal electrodes consist of three metallic layers (Cu, Ni, Sn) with a conductive resin layer between the Cu and Ni layers.
- Conductive epoxy MLCC: The terminal electrodes consist of two metallic layers (Cu and AgPdCu alloy). These MLCCs can be mounted using a conductive epoxy on ceramic PCBs designed for high operating temperatures.
- X8R temperature characteristic: -55 °C to +150 °C with a capacitance drift of ±15%
- X8L temperature characteristic: -55 °C to +150 °C with a capacitance drift of +15% and -40%
- Smoothing circuits and decoupling circuits in automotive engine compartments and in switch-mode power supplies for industrial equipment
Series Case size [IEC] Rated voltage [V] Max. capacitance Temperature characteristics CGA2 1005 (0402) 16 to 100 47 nF X8R CGA3 1608 (0603) 6.3 to 100 2.2μF X8R、X8L CGA4 2012 (0805) 6.3 to 100 10μF X8R、X8L CGA5 3216 (1206) 4 to 100 22μF X8R、X8L CGA6 3225 (1210) 16 to 100 22μF X8R、X8L
* X8R is available for both soft-termination and conductive epoxy MLCCs
About TDK Corporation
TDK Corporation is a leading electronics company based in Tokyo, Japan. It was established in 1935 to commercialize ferrite, a key material in electronic and magnetic products. TDK's portfolio includes electronic components, modules and systems*marketed under the product brands TDK and EPCOS, power supplies, magnetic application products as well as energy devices, flash memory application devices, and others. TDK focuses on demanding markets in the areas of information and communication technology and consumer, automotive and industrial electronics. The company has a network of design and manufacturing locations and sales offices in Asia, Europe, and in North and South America. In fiscal 2016, TDK posted total sales of USD 10.2 billion and employed about 92,000 people worldwide.
- * The product portfolio includes ceramic, aluminum electrolytic and film capacitors, ferrites, inductors, high-frequency components such as surface acoustic wave (SAW) filter products and modules, piezo and protection components, and sensors.
- Product with background (jpg: 1.0 MB; 350dpi)
- Product without background (jpg: 2.4 MB; 350dpi)
- Press release (pdf: 81.1 KB; )
- Press release (rtf: 159.5 KB; )
Contacts for regional media
|Japan||Mr. Sumio MARUKAWA||TDK Corporation
|+81 3 6778-1055||TDK.PR@tdk.com|
|ASEAN||Ms. Jiang MAN
Ms. Pei Lu LEE
|TDK Singapore (Pte) Ltd.Singapore||+65 6273 5022||TDK.ASEANemail@example.com|
|Greater China||Ms. Clover XU||TDK China Co., Ltd.
|+86 21 61962319||TDK.PR-CN@tdk.com|
|Europe||Mr. Frank TRAMPNAU||TDK Europe GmbH
|+49 211 9077 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|America||Ms. Sara M. LAMBETH||TDK Corporation of America
Irving, TX, USA