Feb. 18, 2014
TDK Corporation has expanded its portfolio of MHQ-P high Q multilayer inductors with the miniature MHQ0402P series in case size IEC 0402. Measuring just 0.44 mm x 0.24 mm x 0.24 mm, the new inductors feature the highest Q factor for any multilayer inductor of its size* and are suitable for RF applications such as smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices. Mass production began in February 2014.
The MHQ0402P series achieves a Q factor of 20 at 1.0 GHz and an inductance of 0.2 nH. This value is more than 30 percent higher than that of TDK's existing MLG0402Q series. The achievement of such a high Q factor in extremely compact package was made possible by the use of TDK's proprietary dielectric materials technology and an internal electrode cross-section design with a high aspect ratio, combined with an optimized L-shaped terminal layout. The new 0402 components have a volume that is 70 percent smaller and a footprint that is 53 percent smaller than the MHQ0603P series (0.65 mm x 0.35 mm x 0.35 mm), the smallest MHQ-P high Q product to date.
Thanks to its miniature size and high Q, the new multilayer inductors are designed to make RF circuits in multifunctional mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets even more efficient. The MHQ0402P series joins TDK’s existing MHQ0603P and MHQ1005P (1.0 mm x 0.6 mm x 0.5 mm) high Q series to form a versatile lineup of solutions for a very wide range of applications.
- * As of February 2014, according to TDK data
- Q: The Q (quality) factor of an inductor is the ratio of its inductive reactance to its resistance at a given frequency, and is a measure of its efficiency. The higher the Q factor of the inductor, the closer it approaches the behavior of an ideal, lossless inductor.
- Smartphones, tablets, Bluetooth and WLAN devices
- RF circuits and modules for mobile communication devices, including PAs, VCOs, and front-end modules
Main features and benefits
- High Q factor contributes to reduced losses in RF circuits
- 70 percent smaller volume and 53 percent smaller footprint than the MHQ0603-P series, the smallest MHQ-P high Q product to date
Type MHQ0402P Inductance [nH] 0.2 to 33.0 Q factor typ. 14 to 30 (at 1.8 GHz) Self-resonant frequency [GHz] typ. 2.2 to 18.7 DC resistance [Ω] typ. 0.02 to 2.48 Rated current [mA] max. 130 to 320
About TDK Corporation
TDK Corporation is a leading electronics company based in Tokyo, Japan. It was established in 1935 to commercialize ferrite, a key material in electronic and magnetic products. TDK's portfolio includes electronic components, modules and systems* marketed under the product brands TDK and EPCOS, power supplies, magnetic application products as well as energy devices, flash memory application devices, and others. TDK focuses on demanding markets in the areas of information and communication technology and consumer, automotive and industrial electronics. The company has a network of design and manufacturing locations and sales offices in Asia, Europe, and in North and South America. In fiscal 2013, TDK posted total sales of USD 9.1 billion and employed about 80,000 people worldwide.
- * The product portfolio includes ceramic, aluminum electrolytic and film capacitors, ferrites, inductors, high-frequency components such as surface acoustic wave (SAW) filter products and modules, piezo and protection components, and sensors.
- Product with background (jpg: 568.9 KB; 350dpi)
- Product without background (jpg: 680.7 KB; 350dpi)
- Press release (pdf: 72.4 KB; )
- Press release (rtf: 149.1 KB; )
- Further information on the products can be found underhttps://product.tdk.com/info/en/products/inductor/inductor/smd/catalog.html:
Contacts for regional media
|Japan||Ms. Mari KONISHI||TDK Corporation
|ASEAN||Ms. Jiang MAN
Mr. Shota KANZAKI
|TDK Singapore (Pte) Ltd.
|+65 6273 email@example.com|
|Greater China||Ms. Clover XU||TDK China Co., Ltd.
|+86 21 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Europe||Mr. Frank TRAMPNAU||TDK Electronics Europe GmbH
|+49 211 9077 email@example.com|
|America||Ms. Sara M. LAMBETH||TDK Corporation of America
Irving, TX, USA