- About TDK
- About Business Results and Finances
- About Shares
- About Business Activities
- About the Environment and Corporate Ethics
- Q1. When was TDK established?
- A1. TDK was formally established in December 7, 1935 but a business organization was created in 1932 in order to produce on a commercial basis the ferrite discovered by Dr. Yogoro Kato and Dr. Takeshi Takei of Tokyo Institute of Technology. The name Tokyo Denki Kagaku Kogyo K.K. was taken in part from the name of the institution where the two inventors' conducted their research.
- Q2. What are the origins of the name TDK?
- A2. TDK is derived from Tokyo Denki Kagaku Kogyo K.K. TDK was used as a trademark since the company's establishment, and as cassette tapes for the general public became increasingly popular, the company came to be known as TDK. Also, the company was referred to as To-Den-Ka in newspaper stock columns. In 1983, the company name was changed to TDK Corporation.
- Q3. What are TDK's corporate principles?
- A3. The corporate motto is "Contribute to culture and industry through creativity." The corporate principles are "vision," "courage," and "trust."
About Business Results and Finances
- Q1. When is TDK's fiscal year end?
- A1. The fiscal year end is March 31.
- Q2. Where can I get the latest financial data and forecasts of business results?
- A2. Financial data and forecasts can be found in the Performance Briefing.
TDK announces its consolidated financial results quarterly. See the IR Calender for the date of the next announcement. Following announcements of financial results, TDK holds briefings for analysts, and scenes of the briefings as well as the documentary materials used are available in the Performance Briefing.
- Q3. How can I get historical financial data?
- A3. Access the Investors Guide at Investors' Guide in the IR Library.
- Q4. Where can I get Form 20-F?
- A4. Please see the IR Library.
- Q1. What is the minimum share trading unit?
- A1. The minimum trading unit is 100 shares.
- Q2. On what stock exchanges are TDK shares traded?
- A2. On the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
- Q3. What is TDK's securities code?
- A3. The securities code is 6762.
- Q4. What is TDK's Ticker Symbol generally used at U.S. market (OTC)?
- A4. The Ticker Symbol is "TTDKY".
- Q5. Does TDK have a special benefits plan for shareholders?
- A5. TDK does not have such a special benefits plan.
About Business Activities
- Q1. What are TDK's main business activities?
- A1. TDK develops, manufactures, and sells electronic components, including inductive devices, energy devices (rechargeable batteries), HDD heads, RF components, piezoelectric material components, capacitors, magnets, and power supplies. These are used as automobile components and in a wide range of electronic devices such as smartphones, tablets, and industrial equipment.
- Q2. What are TDK's strengths?
- A2. TDK was established to engage in the commercial production of ferrite, and many of the products and technologies that TDK currently handles are derived from ferrite. Among TDK's strengths are materials technology, which is used to develop electronic components from materials; process technology, which serves to manufacture electronic components from developed materials, and evaluation and simulation technology, essential for evaluating the developed materials and electronic components and circuits. Another core competence enabling us to create products that reflect the TDK spirit of solid craftsmanship is production technology, along with product design technology which turns multiple electronic components into multi-function, high-performance entities. TDK constantly strives to refine these core technologies and will concentrate its management assets in three areas that are expected to undergo rapid growth in the future: automotive electronics, ICT (Information and Communication Technology), and the industrial equipment and energy sector.
About the Environment and Corporate Ethics
- Q1. What measures has TDK taken with respect to corporate ethics?
- A1. In addition to strictly observing applicable laws and regulations, TDK has adopted the TDK Code of Ethics, a collection of specific action policies with which directors, corporate auditors, corporate officers, and employees of TDK as well as its consolidated subsidiaries are required to comply. Details concerning the code can be found at TDK Code of Conduct.
- Q2. What measures has TDK taken with respect to corporate governance?
- A2. TDK believes that in order to enhance corporate governance, it is extremely important that we increase fairness, impartiality, transparency, and compliance within management. TDK has an auditor system and invites outside directors and corporate auditors to serve on its boards (three out of seven directors and two out of four corporate auditors). TDK has created a corporate governance structure with a corporate officer system as well as a Compensation Advisory Committee, a Business Ethics Committee, and a Disclosure Committee. Additional information can be found at Corporate Governance.
- Q3. What social contributions activities does TDK undertake?
- A3. As a corporate citizen, TDK has a strong awareness of the importance of acting in harmony with society. As a business, TDK seeks to consider what it can do for society and to conduct original social contributions activities based on "creativity" and "culture." The TDK group uses its various assets including employees, products, capital, and information in four fields: academic, research, and education; sports, art, and culture; environmental conservation; and social welfare and local community activities. TDK works in collaboration with non-profit organizations and non-governmental organizations to take proactive action on a global scale. Additional information can be found at Social Contribution Activities.
- Q4. What environmental activities does TDK undertake?
- A4. TDK, recognizing that co-existing with the global environment is an important management issue, formulated the "TDK Environment Vision 2035" in 2015. Additional information can be found at Environmental Policy and Environmental Vision.