Information contained in the news releases are current as of the date of the press announcement, but may be subject to change without prior notice.
Compact Noise Countermeasure Components
with ESD Countermeasure Functions Developed
EMI Filter Array and ESD Protection Function Elements Integrated on a Single Chip
with electrostatic discharge countermeasure functions
September 25, 2006
TDK Corporation announces the development of the MEA2010LV series of multilayer chip EMI filter arrays with electrostatic discharge (ESD) countermeasure functions. Mass production is scheduled to start in November 2006. These new chip products designed for cell phones combine the noise countermeasure functions of earlier EMI filter arrays with functions to protect circuits from static electricity.
Cell phones often use EMI filters as countermeasures against noise in LCD lines. In recent years, the need has been increasing to incorporate ESD countermeasure function elements to prevent cell phone malfunctions caused by ESD from the human body. At the same time, cell phones have become smaller and incorporate more functions, resulting in space limitations on circuit boards. Integrating multiple components with different functions into a single chip is becoming one means of addressing this issue. In response, TDK developed these new filter arrays as compact components that incorporate ESD countermeasures and noise countermeasures in a single chip.
TDK developed a new material with excellent attenuation characteristics at high frequencies, something that has not been possible with previous ESD countermeasure components. By employing high-precision internal pattern formation technologies and structure optimization technologies, TDK achieved EMI reduction characteristics equivalent to the earlier products over a broad frequency range. The series consists of three products to provide a range of noise countermeasures tailored to the application.
- One chip can provide EMI and ESD countermeasures for four signal lines.
- 2.0 mm × 1.0 mm × 0.7 mm compact size
- ESD-resistance characteristics of 8 kV contact
- The product lineup includes three products with different capacitances (10 pF, 15 pF, and 22 pF) for optimal effects according to the circuits used. The breakdown voltage is 28 V.
- Lead free, compatible with lead-free solder, conforming to RoHS Directive.
Production and Sales Plan
- Sample prices : 60 yen per unit for all products
- Production base : TDK Ugo Corporation
- Production capacity : 10 million units/month
- Start of production : November 2006
For further information, contact the Corporate Communications Dept.