Multilayer ceramic capacitors: Further miniaturized series of C0G MLCCs (TDK-EPC Corporation)
Information contained in the news releases are current as of the date of the press announcement, but may be subject to change without prior notice.
60 percent smaller than previous TDK components
February 25, 2010
TDK-EPC Corporation, a group company of TDK Corporation, presents a new series of multilayer ceramic capacitors (MLCC) with C0G temperature characteristics and a rated voltage of 50 V. Mass production began in December, 2009. The new series of TDK MLCCs are 60 percent or one size smaller than existing products with the same capacitance. With three times the capacitance* of existing TDK MLCCs, the new products will have the world's highest capacitance in the 50 V rated voltage range for C0G.
With the new series, TDK-EPC is meeting the market demand for miniaturization in automotive and consumer applications. Using specialized thin-layer and multilayer technologies it developed new ceramic dielectric materials that enable the spacing between the ceramic dielectric layers to be reduced by approximately 30 percent.
The new C0G MLCCs feature a temperature coefficient of 0 ± 30 ppm/°C over the complete operating temperature range from -55°C to +125°C. This means that the new components can be used in applications that require highly accurate capacitors such as time constant and oscillator circuits. They are also suited for use in snubber circuits and EMI filtering in power supplies of automotive electronic control units (ECU), consumer electronics, and industrial equipment. The new ceramic capacitors can also replace film capacitors in some general consumer electronics applications.
* As of 1/ 2010 (TDK-EPC investigations)
- C0G: A code for the temperature characteristics of low permittivity capacitors. C0G characteristics indicate a temperature coefficient of no more than 0 ± 30 ppm/°C. Further common temperature characteristics are X7R and X8R.
- ECU: Electronic control unit. Used to control automotive electronic devices.
- EMI filtering and voltage stabilization in power supplies for automotive and consumer electronics applications.
- Main Features and Benefits
- Reduction of the space between ceramic dielectric layers of around 30 percent compared to existing products, which results in a volume reduction of about 60 percent and an capacitance increase by about three times compared to existing products.
- C0G temperature characteristics with a temperature coefficient of 0 ± 30 ppm/°C over an operating temperature range of -55°C to +125°C.
- Key data
Size Insertion height [mm] Capacitance [nF] C1005 (0402)* 0.55 max 0.56 to 1 C1608 (0603)* 0.90 max 3.9 to 10 C2012 (0805)* 0.70 max 3.9 to 10 0.95 max 12 to 15 1.35 max 18 to 27 1.45 max 33 C3216 (1206)* 0.70 max 8.2 to 22 0.95 max 27 to 33 1.30 max 39 to 56 1.80 max 68 to 100
* Rated voltage: 50 V; temperature characteristic: C0G
About TDK-EPC Corporation
TDK-EPC Corporation (TDK-EPC), a TDK group company, is a leading manufacturer of electronic components, modules and systems headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. TDK-EPC has emerged from the combination of the electronic components business of TDK and the EPCOS Group and markets its products under the product brands, TDK and EPCOS.
The product portfolio includes ceramic, aluminum electrolytic and film capacitors, ferrites and inductors, high-frequency components such as surface acoustic wave (SAW) filter products and modules, piezo and protection components, and sensors. With this product spectrum TDK-EPC offers a broad range of products and solutions of outstanding value from a single source and focuses on demanding markets in the areas of information and communication technology and automotive, industrial and consumer electronics. The company has design and manufacturing locations and sales offices in Asia, Europe, and in North and South America.
- Product with background (JPG: 158 KB; 300 dpi)
- Product without background (JPG: 294 KB; 300 dpi)
- Press release (PDF: 40 KB)
- Press release (RTF: 154 KB)
Contacts for regional media
|Japan||Mr. Yoichi Osuga||TDK Corporation
|ASEAN||Ms. Tomoko Kameda||TDK Singapore (Pte) Ltd.
|+65 6273 5022||TDK.ASEANfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Greater China||Ms. Selina Feng||TDK China Co., Ltd.
|+86 21 61962318||TDK.PR-CN@tdk.com|
|Europe||Mr. Frank Trampnau||TDK Electronics Europe GmbH
|+49-(0)211 9077 email@example.com|
|America||Ms. Sara M. Reynoso||TDK Corporation of America
Irving, TX/ USA